Allergy Friendly Baked Churro Balls
I always prefer using honey over sugar whenever a recipe calls for a sweetner. So when I saw SoulBee Honey product range, I was super excited.
The honey powders come in different flavors. Their honey products are also available in flake form too. They were kind enough to send me a free sample of their honey powder.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, I will earn commission, if you click through and make a purchase.
SoulBee Honey Powder has many benefits:
- Can be used as a sugar substitute, as a natural and healthier alternative.
- Substitution can be done without worrying about measurements as it is dry and can be used on 1:1 ratio.
- Can be turned into liquid honey, if desired.
- Since it's honey, there are numerous health benefits too
- Available in US and more recently in Canada(through Amazon).
When I first tasted the powder, there was only a subtle difference in taste than the sugar. The kids did not notice any difference at all.
Thinking how to use this powder in my cooking, since it's a honey powder, its naturally going to be sweet, so I decided to make a dessert. I have not made Churros in a while and they seemed a good recipe to use the honey powder in.
These gluten free, dairy free and egg free baked Churro balls are coated with a mixture of honey powder from SoulBee Honey, brown sugar and cinnamon. However, I gave a different shape to the Churros than their usual cylindrical style and baked them to make them more healthier.
- 1 cup coconut or any other dairy free milk
- 1 1/3 cup gluten free flour
- 4 tablespoons dairy free butter/coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons any egg substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup SoulBee Honey Powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350o F. (1 min)
- In a medium saucepan combine the dairy free milk and butter. Bring the mixture to boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon (5 min)
- Add the flour to the saucepan and a pinch of salt, stir. Keep stirring until the mixture pulls away from the side of saucepan. Take it off the burner and let it cool slightly
- Add a tablespoon of egg replacer at a time and stir to mix after each one. (5 min)
- Scoop a teaspoon of dough, shape it into a ball roughly. Place it onto a baking tray, repeat until all the dough is used up. (5 min).
- Bake for 45 minutes
- While the churros are cooking, add the SoulBee honey powder, brown sugar and cinnamon to a shallow dish, for dredging the churros
- Cool the churros for a minute. Then roll the churros in the cinnamon mixture. Repeat until all done.