Allergy Friendly Baked Churro Balls
I always prefer using honey over sugar whenever a recipe calls for a sweetner. So when I saw SoulBee Honey product range, I was super excited.
The honey powders come in different flavors. Their honey products are also available in flake form too. They were kind enough to send me a free sample of their honey powder.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, I will earn commission, if you click through and make a purchase.
SoulBee Honey Powder has many benefits:
- Can be used as a sugar substitute, as a natural and healthier alternative.
- Substitution can be done without worrying about measurements as it is dry and can be used on 1:1 ratio.
- Can be turned into liquid honey, if desired.
- Since it's honey, there are numerous health benefits too
- Available in US and more recently in Canada(through Amazon).
SoulBee Sweet Fact
1% of all proceeds are donated to Planet Bee Foundation which works with schools, nonprofits, summer camps, environmental centers, community gardens and businesses to build awareness and care for honey bees and the environment by providing hands-on, educational workshops.
When I first tasted the powder, there was only a subtle difference in taste than the sugar. The kids did not notice any difference at all.
Thinking how to use this powder in my cooking, since it's a honey powder, its naturally going to be sweet, so I decided to make a dessert. I have not made Churros in a while and they seemed a good recipe to use the honey powder in.
These gluten free, dairy free and egg free baked Churro balls are coated with a mixture of honey powder from SoulBee Honey, brown sugar and cinnamon. However, I gave a different shape to the Churros than their usual cylindrical style and baked them to make them more healthier.
- 1 cup coconut or any other dairy free milk
- 1 1/3 cup gluten free flour
- 4 tablespoons dairy free butter/coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons any egg substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup SoulBee Honey Powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350o F. (1 min)
- In a medium saucepan combine the dairy free milk and butter. Bring the mixture to boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon (5 min)
- Add the flour to the saucepan and a pinch of salt, stir. Keep stirring until the mixture pulls away from the side of saucepan. Take it off the burner and let it cool slightly
- Add a tablespoon of egg replacer at a time and stir to mix after each one. (5 min)
- Scoop a teaspoon of dough, shape it into a ball roughly. Place it onto a baking tray, repeat until all the dough is used up. (5 min).
- Bake for 45 minutes
- While the churros are cooking, add the SoulBee honey powder, brown sugar and cinnamon to a shallow dish, for dredging the churros
- Cool the churros for a minute. Then roll the churros in the cinnamon mixture. Repeat until all done.